Originally,
our idea for our sense of place project was to capture the differences between
environments such as rural and city, through the use of sound. We began this by
planning and recording the sounds that we required and thinking of what they
could represent. We then went on to discuss the experimental film section of
it, and decided that it might we worthwhile portraying this through a time
lapse of the city and of the countryside. However, once we had got the time
lapse and started putting it in an order, we realised that it would be quite
monotonous and therefore, came to the decision of changing our idea to something
that would be of more interesting. This might have been a mistake as this meant
that consequently we had less time to pull out another idea that was going to
be of any sort of stature.
After
coming to a decision that we wanted to have something that had even less of a
narrative but in keeping with a structure, we decided that we wanted to create
something involving rhythmic audio. This idea largely came from watching Ed
Sheeran’s Wayfaring Stranger, where the audio is built up gradually in layers.
What we liked about this was that the original layer kept playing as almost
what we could describe as a time keeper. If we were to use the same method we
would be able to create a more technically correct piece of work. Once we had
created this first layer, we then began adding our secondary layers of audio.
After four counts of the first layer of audio, which was the turning on of a
switch (which came out as a sharp click) we then added the secondary layer opening
of a can. This adding of audio layer by layer carried on until we came to
halfway, we then began the same process but only this time in reverse, so
instead of adding the audio we were taking it away layer-by-layer, until we
ended up with only the click of the original layer playing. This was perhaps
the more challenging aspect of the project, as neither Paul nor I had ever used
Soundtrack Pro before; this meant we had to learn from doing. We were given
lessons that talked us through it in a step-by-step manor, nevertheless we
still found it tricky. Once we had placed the sound where we wanted it in time
line of Soundtrack Pro, we then had to consider putting effects on the
individual audio selections. We tried such effects as Channel EQ, however we
soon realised that once these effects were added, the audio then was not portraying the message we wanted to get across as they sounded too different to
the objects that they were meant to be. We wanted the routine that we were
replicating to be that of the morning, when someone gets up. We tried sounds
such as the shower and tap running, bushing of teeth etc. However, when we
listened to these sounds back, they all sounded relatively similar which made
it hard to distinguish the difference between them. They were also hard to
place into any form of rhythm which is what we were trying to achieve, which
also made them unusable.
What
we were trying to create was in some ways in keeping with our first idea about
the contrast of the city and the country, however this time we only wanted to
look at the hustle and bustle of the city. We also wanted the audio to be a
representation of the rhythm and repetition of everyday routines such as when a
person wakes up or something that happens every day but goes unnoticed. I think
over all this could be a successful idea, once we had got the first level of
audio finished it was then just a case of piecing the rest together to fit in.
Originally we were going to have the audio rhythm build gradually then stop to
a lingered silence at the end, however I was not sure whether that was as
relevant nor did I think that it worked as well. Instead we decided to have it
become a pyramid of sound, gradually building to its peak then similarly fading
away layer by layer. Although admittedly this does not exactly represent
anything in terms of what we were trying to say, and if I were to attempt this
again I would wanted it to be more of a representative piece of work. As my
partner and I received an extension for this piece of work, we were not able to
show ours in the tutorial in which peers were able to express opinions about
others work. This I believe set us back slightly as we would have benefited
greatly from some feedback from fresh eyes. This in many ways caused us to be a
bit blind in what we had or had not achieved.
There
were quite a few sections of our work that could have been greatly improved on
if we were to have practiced more precise time management. For example, we
suffered a loss of sound due to a faulty Marantz, this on top of the problems
with my back which caused me to have to have several days off and also Paul's
commitments with his children, meant that we were under prepared for such
events as we were not able to spare time at the end in preparation for such
events. Although we did manage to record all the relevant sound again, it did
mean we had far less time when it came to editing. Secondly, the framing and
composition in the visuals was not as strong as I would have hoped, however I
believe that was down to time being scarce and also lack of experience. We
struggled with noise reduction on some of the shots which may be down to using
a DSLR, I found with the Z1s this was less of a problem, so if I were given the
choice in the future, I would choose the Z1. All of the shots were captured
through the use of a tripod, it was considered to not use one to give the
footage a more unsteady hectic motion; however we were wary that it would look
too unprofessional and decided to seek it out in post. By not taking the time
to have some practice shots/set up lighting correctly I think that we have
missed out on some potentially nice shots, however this is a learning curve.
The
skills that I was provided with whilst doing this project mostly surrounded
that of learning how to use different types of software such as Soundtrack Pro
and Final cut Pro. Although I had used Final Cut Pro last year, I was not given
the depth of the technical knowledge that we have been given this year that has
allowed me to progress with it more successfully. We had the same tuition with
Soundtrack Pro. I had never used it before and did struggle at first; however I
did eventually get more accustomed to it through practicing in the lessons with
some sounds that were university provided. I believe that I could have utilised
this gained knowledge to a far greater extent when it came to my own work.
Although my partner Paul was assigned the role of editor, I believe I should
have been braver and taken it on as a challenge thus gaining vital experience
to prepare me for next semester. Another skill that we have now gained was time
management. Once we had gathered all the relevant sound we needed, we came
across a technical issue that set us back greatly. The Marantz that we were
using was faulty and consequently we lost all of our sound. Although we did
manage to rerecord the sound, it did mean we were set back slightly. This was a
useful learning curve for us, as we are now more acutely aware that time
management is vastly more important than we first realised.
The
video section of this project I feel was at best average. I feel we could have
planned it far better and been much more technically correct in the production
and post-production process. This I feel was partly down to partner
participation. When it came to making the playable DVD I found that some of the
formats were incorrect and it had not been exported properly. This meant that
when I tried to import it to DVD Studio Pro the formats did not match up and
therefore and error message would pop up and I was unable to make the DVD. It
would have been possible however, if I were able to get the un-exported Final
Cut file and try to adjust the settings before exporting and for the export
itself. However, Paul by this time had already left and decided to quit the
course and subsequently was unavailable resulting in me not being able to get
them from him. Another problem that I believe is the more obvious one was the
quality of the footage that we attained. This will have made the film as a
whole lack in quality. If I were to re do this piece of work, I would have gone
about filming it an entirely different way. I would make sure I challenge
myself with a different, more interesting degree of shots. Despite these facts,
I do like the idea of the slightly light hearted experimental film. A lot of
the ones that are more commonly seen are very dark or with a deep emotional
message. We wanted to create something that was slightly easier for the viewer to
watch, but still in keeping with the background message.
I
think that as a group Paul and I worked okay under the circumstances. There
were many challenges to face, such as my on going back problems (which I am
looking into help for) and Paul’s other commitments. This caused us to clash a
lot when I came to organising when either of us were free. However, we did
manage to make do and although the standard of work was lacking, I think that
it could have been a lot worse. Losing footage of course did not help as we were
lacking an even greater amount of time, however this as I have said previously
although was not anyone’s fault, could have been greatly helped if we were to
have had the time to spare at the end.
As a
first project I do believe that it could have been a lot better. I would have
liked to be able to boast by abilities more and create something that was to a
far higher standard. However I believe that it has been very useful to me as a student
and has provided me with some essential problem solving skills for future
projects. Paul and I could have improved our technical skills a lot further
than we have, perhaps through practicing and more in depth research into
tutorials etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment