Friday, 19 October 2012

Last Man On Earth - Carlo Ortu


After trying to find 'love me or leave me alone' for ages and not being successful, I decided to find one that I had seen before and quite liked.

Last Man on Earth is a light hearted short film which I first saw last year when researching for the Extended Degree. The main theme of the film I think is purely comical, and puts a spin on the usual post-apocalyptic worlds in many films that are very often seen. For example Coming Of Age by Ben and Charlie Goodner has got a very real and deep message behind it in which it expresses the strengths of human character.

I do like this film, its short and simple and sticks with you as you aren't expecting the ending to turn out the way that it does. One reason for this is the techniques used throughout the first 3/4 of the film are very much like something you would see in a drama or perhaps something that has a harder edge. The lighting is dark and there is minimal sound which builds a touch of suspense, this is the same right up until the point where the man in question, takes the 'lethal concoction' of drugs to end his life, as he cannot bare to be on this earth alone anymore. After taking these drugs his phone ring and the name 'Steve' is on the screen. I think this is a nice little extra as its not just a random number ringing him, it is clearly a friend or at very least someone he knows.

The techniques used in the film as a whole, give the film a near advertisement feel to it. I half expected there to be a Carlsberg logo pop up at the end. I don't know if this is what the director intended or whether it was an unconscious decision, but I do think it works well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment